Solar Roofing: A Sensible Solution
Solar roofing allows for harnessing the natural energy created by the sun and uses a series of modules and cells that capture and allow for the suns light to be converted to voltage or electric current. It is a quiet, clean solution with no moving parts and no pollution and one of the most environmentally friendly power sources on the planet.
As Electricity rates have gone up 67% since 2009* and continue to rise, the need to utilize renewable energy sources has become a priority, thus solar has become a prevalent roofing solution. Advances in solar cell and thin-film technology have been rapid in recent years and the use of solar for commercial roofing systems has grown as a result of the increasingly higher energy efficiency gains.
- Buildings with solar power are worth more and sell faster.
- Solar power installations recover 100% of the cost of their installation cost**.
- State and federal government incentives make installation of solar one of the most cost efficient solutions available today.
- Solar panels will last for 30 to 50 years and creates clean, sustainable and renewable energy from the sun.
- Even during the summer months, as energy bills rise, solar panels cool your building, requiring less total energy expenditure.
- Silicone, the key solar roofing material, is the most abundant resource on earth and is safe to work with and easy to dispose.
Other key advantages to solar roofing include:
- Environment – PV and thin film systems are renewable, clean and universal power sources. Solar energy helps prevent damage to the environment by producing no pollution. A 2-kilowatt system will reduce carbon-dioxide emissions by 85,576 pounds over its lifetime, according to some estimates.
- Reliability – A PV and thin film system with a battery-powered storage system can provide power to facilities in the event of an electrical outage.
- Hedge against rate hikes – PV and thin film systems are less vulnerable to electrical rate increases, producing electricity at a fixed rate over the life of the system. The cost of solar cells continues to decrease.
- Peak energy savings – PV and thin film systems can reduce the cost of peak power such as a mid summer day when the need is at the highest for expensive power.
- Public relations – Solar roofing technology has a legitimate, positive influence on the general public and may lead to an enhanced reputation for taking action to protect and improve the environment.
- National security – Renewable energy sources lessen the nation’s dependence on foreign oil.